in EUR m
Number of seats at the board
5 out of 5 votes
D'Ieteren Group 100%
Investment Case – Our Journey with D’Ieteren
The last 70 years: “A long-term partnership with Volkswagen Group to become the leading automotive distributor in Belgium”
D’Ieteren's activity started in 1948, when Pierre D’Ieteren signed the import contract for the legendary Beetle with the Volkswagen Group. Year after year, the company successively integrated new brands to increase its market share to 22% in 2019. In recent years, the D’Ieteren Group team collaborated with management to achieve the following significant milestones:
- The consolidation of the retail network from 150+ small independent dealers to 25 large and financially-sound market areas;
- The acquisition, integration and restructuring of dealerships along the Brussels-Mechelen-Antwerp axis, as well as the development of maintenance and bodyshop services;
- The improvement of spare parts distribution, through the sale of maintenance contracts, higher warehouse automation and optimised logistics.
The path ahead: “Becoming the leader for mobility in Belgium”
The D’Ieteren Group team fully supports D’Ieteren in its vision to ‘Improve the lives of citizens through fluid, accessible and sustainable mobility’. The transition from selling vehicles to offering mobility solutions requires a significant shift in mindset and a relentless focus on customer experience and satisfaction. The company launched several initiatives to adapt to new customer needs and fully embrace the market trends impacting the automotive industry (Autonomous, Connected, Electric, Shared):
- The launch of Lab Box, a start-up studio which aims to develop successful ventures in the new mobility space, often as a digital product or service (e.g. Lizy: digital platform to lease used cars; Skipr: Mobility as a Service; Poppy: car sharing);
- The installation of charging stations with EDI (Electric by D’Ieteren) in order to support the sale of electric cars;
- The development of an online sales platform.
In addition, the D’Ieteren Group team collaborates closely with the management to investigate new growth opportunities, improve the operational performance and pursue the digital transformation of the company:
- Assess the opportunity to launch new products and services to address new customer segments;
- Transform the core business to achieve greater efficiency;
- Become a data-led company with a centralized data universe.
D’Ieteren Group is also actively engaged with D’Ieteren's management team to ensure the company reaches its non-financial and sustainability targets.